Some alternatives to the traditional pizza
Some alternatives to the traditional pizza
If you ask a Neapolitan pizzaiolo which pizza you should eat in the city where pizza was born, he will answer 'pizza margherita' .It is indeed quite common to believe this traditional pizza, made with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and basil - all traditional, fresh ingredients- will deliver the authentic flavour of the dish.
Pizza is, however, one of the most versatile foods around, and nowadays there are so many varieties almost everyone has more than one favorite. Pizza is baked all over the world, hence new recipes are invented everywhere thanks to the creativity of international restaurants and the influence of local tastes. Several types of alternative pizzas are eaten abroad. The most famous are:
- Hawaiian pizza. It consists of a cheese and tomato base with pieces of ham and pineapple.
- Japanese pizza with chicken and spicy prawns.
- Chinese pizza. It is rich in ingredients such as pepperoni, green peppers, meat, pineapple, corn.
- Cheeseburger pizza with barbecue sauce, bacon, onions, hamburger.
These pizzas are considered quite strange in Italy and perhaps they are so unusual an Italian would never eat them unless they like trying new things. However, this doesn't mean Italians only choose to eat traditional pizzas like the margherita. In fact, Italy itself is one of the countries with the largest varieties of pizza toppings and recipes. Below you'll find a list of some of the best loved pizzas in Italy:
-pizza with sausages and chips. It is made up with a base of mozzarella cheese, some also put tomato sauce while others don't, and chips and sausages. This is highly appreciated by children but adults eat it too;
- pizza with béchamel, mozzarella cheese, ham and mushrooms;
- pizza with tuna, corn, béchamel and mozzarella cheese. This pizza is always served with a base of mozzarella cheese without tomato sauce; another pizza often served with tuna is pizza with mozzarella cheese and onions; some prefer it with a base of tomato sauce.
- pizza with mozzarella cheese, sausages and friarielli. This pizza is typical of Naples. With a base of mozzarella cheese and no tomato sauce, it is enriched with sausages and a typical type of vegetable grown in Naples: the friarielli (they are a local food that can be compared more or less to broccoli, but with a somehow tastier flavor);
- pizza quattro stagioni, four seasons, and pizza quattro formaggi, four cheeses, are so loved and chosen by Italians that perhaps they do not represent an alternative anymore and they can be considered to be part of the traditional pizza menu. The first is topped with ham, olives, small artichokes, mushrooms. The second with several types of cheese (among which you'll always find mozzarella cheese and gorgonzola) are considered a must for a lot of pizza eaters.
- pizza with parma ham, rucola, and parmesan. A base of pizza, focaccia, with nor cheese nor tomato sauce, is cooked and prosciutto di parma, rucola and scaglie di grana are freshly served on it;
- pizza with mozzarella cheese, pomodorini and rucola.
For those who like fish, they can't miss the pizza with frutti di mare. It is a pizza with a tomato sauce and oregano base, topped with seafood, including mussels, shrimps and squid.
These pizzas are highly demanded by Italians when they go to pizzerias. At the moment, new trends coming from abroad are influencing Italian pizzaioli in the creation of new pizzas: mixing typically Italian recipes with foreign ones to create new tastes is the new hot trend in pizza making; some of the concoctions are so strange that none of the tradtional pizzaioli of yesteryear would ha Pizza with kebab meat ive ever thought of them. Pizza topped with kebab meat, for instance, has become quite popular, especially in the pizza al taglio parlors.
Finally, a thought for those who have a sweet tooth: the calzone with nutella. This is a tasty recipe that is often eaten as dessert instead of cakes . Served with a bit of zucchero a velo, powdered sugar, on top, it is a perfect combination symbolizing what is the authentic philosophy of the 'made in Italy' on tables. If you are a fan of Italian food you cannot resist to this sweet temptation.
These are only some of the pizzas Italians often eat when they decide to break go for something more exotic than a usual margherita. However, when going to Italian restaurants, you can