Micromosaics in smalti filati
This Master addresses to mosaicists who want to learn and improve their skill in this very special and desired mosaic technique. The teaching of " Filato" is absolutely exceptional,we will give informations very precious coming from Masters forming a chain back to mosaic artists of GIACOMO RAFFAELLI's time.
MICRO MOSAIC WORKSHOP BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE TECHNIQUE
The materials used in Smalti Filati is glass. All the process is made under a flame.The Mosaic Master melts different pieces of colored glass in a pot under a flame and amalgamates it with two pricks. Once the glass melts ,the artist continues to work it under the flame with flat-nose pliers and stretches it into rods 20 - 30 inches long to a desired thickness of sometimes less than one millimeter. After they dry ,he cuts these rods to a desired length and then inserts these Tesserae in the glazing putty,the oil mastic.
With this technique ,the artist can make miniature mosaics that may depict very detailed scenes(of monuments or roman views) for jewelry and precious objects.
ONE-WEEK (40 HOUR) MICROMOSAIC IN SMALTI FILATI COURSE / WORKSHOP
Brief presentation of micromosaic history.
Preparation of the binder ,oil mastic ( stucco ad olio), on which the student first cuts and then inserts the rods created ( filate)
The stucco ad olio (oil mastic ) is prepared and transferred into a framed wooden base.
The students draw a sketching (to replace in micromosaic) and set it above the oil mastic.
Then they begin melting ,with the teacher help, the glass under a flame ,in order to create the first rods that can not exceed 3 - 4 millimeters thick.
The first rods are set ,using the direct method, in the oil mastic.
The pupils continue melting colored glass with flat-nose pliers ,under the flame.
The students ,working under the flame, improve their skill to amalgamate and stretch the glass to the desired thickness.
The mosaic is completed ,the sketching chosen is replaced.
In the afternoon the students visit in a guided tour the most important micromosaics in Rome.
PORTRAIT according to MICROMOSAIC (emblemata)
ONE-WEEK (40 hour) MOSAIC COURSE
POLYCROME MARBLE ROMAN MOSAIC
Brief presentation of roman mosaic portrait.Study of the textures. A cartoon or drawing is selected and the tracing is completed.The clay bed is prepared ,the tracing of the drawing is transfered to the surfice of the clay.
Tuesday: the student begins cutting the "tesserae"
Using Martellina and tagliolo ( mosaic hammer and hardie) the student cuts the stones up to 5 mm thick.
The student improves his skill in cutting stones ,smaller and smaller.He sets them following the textures,in the clay. The lines of portrait begin to be evident.
The portrait is over and is finally lifted and transferred into a permanent binder. Completed mosaic is framed,it becomes the participant's property.
One-week (5 days) 40 hour mosaic course:
Conditiones and Fees
- Our teachers (one is me) studied and worked in Vatican Studio of Mosaic
- The course will take place with a maximum number of 8 partecipants
- Lessons are held in english and italian
- To partecipate in the course it is essential to fill in the contact us correctly and we will get back to you.
- The partecipants don't need any materials or tools to partecipate in tthe Course.Everything is provided: martellina (mosaic hammer) tagliolo,clay,lime,stones,smalti,cheesels,gauze,cement, etc.
- The total cost of the Master one-week (5 days) 40 hour .
- We suggest the two-week (80 hour) mosaic course, our workshop is more detailed.
- Students work in a friendly environment,with a selection of materials including polycrome marble and glass mosaic ( smalti)
- An attendance certificate is issued at the end of the course