25 Quotes Concerning Wine
Edited, awaiting the Italian wine proverbs/quotes
- "A man will be eloquent if you give him good wine." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." ~ Ernest Hemingway
- "Good wine is a necessity of life for me." ~ Thomas Jefferson
- "Beer is made by men, wine by God." ~ Martin Luther
- "Come quickly! I am tasting stars!" ~ Dom Perignon upon tasting Champagne for the first time.
- "Wine cheers the sad, revives the old, inspires the young, makes weariness forget his toil." ~ Lord Byron
- "Wine.The intellectual part of the meal." ~ Alexandre Dumas
- "If food is the body of good living, wine is its soul." ~ Clifton Fadiman
- "A bottle of good wine, like a good act, shines ever in the retrospect." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
- "The wine cup is the little silver well, where truth, if truth there be, doth dwell. ~ William Shakespeare
- "A man fallen on hard times sold his art collection but kept his wine cellar. When asked why he did not sell his wine, he said, "A man can live without art, but not without culture." ~ Anonymous
- "Hardly did it appear, than from my mouth it passed into my heart." ~ Abbe de Challieu after his first taste of Champagne.
- "My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." ~ John Maynard Keynes
- "Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep well, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved." ~ Medieval German saying.
- "In wine there is truth." ~ Pliny the Elder
- "Compromises are for relationships, not wine." ~ Sir Robert Scott Caywood
- "Pour out the wine without restraint or stay. Pour not by cups, but by the bellyful. Pour out to all that wull." ~ Edmund Spenser
- "A man not old, but mellow, like good wine." ~ Stephen Phillips
- "And Noah, he often said to his wife when he sat down to dine, 'I don't care where the water goes if it doesn't get into the wine.'" ~ G.K. Chesterton
- "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" ~ Cardinal Richeleu
- "Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages." ~ Louis Pasteur
- "What though youth gave love and roses, age still leaves us friends and wine." ~ Thomas Moore
- "I'm only a beer teetotaler, not a champagne teetotaler. I don't like beer." ~ George Bernard Shaw
- "Give me wine to wash me clean of the weather-stains of care." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "…then the streams would run with wine instead of water and the whole forest would give itself up to jollification for weeks on end." ~ C. S. Lewis in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
PS: I am translating now some Italian wine proverbs / quotes
No votes yet