“This is my invention.” Francesco says he was inspired one day when he heard a chef talking about an olive dressing. The addition of walnuts helps mellow the intensity of the olives. A more typically Venetian rendition would require green olives, but Kalamata olives with their lovely mellow flavor, are better suited to the dressing.
Walnut-Olive Dressing recipe
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp (25g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 125 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (375 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the olives and walnuts in a food processor and chop them together to make a fine mixture, nearly a paste.
- Add the vinegar and process briefly. Then, with the machine running add the oil through the feed tube.
- Season the dressing with pepper.