Last Updated on April 24, 2019 by Katty
“My first job in New York was grilling chickens at DDL Food Show, the big fancy food store that Dino di Laurentiis, the movie director, opened on Columbus Avenue in 1983,” Francesco recalls. “At most I had call for 3 or 4 Chickens a day, but when Dino asked how many chickens I was cooking, I told him 90 to 100 because I was afraid to lose my job.” Francesco’s own roast chicken could not be simpler. The secret ingredient is the herbed salt he uses as seasoning.
Roast Chicken with Herbed Salt
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds (2.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 g) herbed salt
- 3 cloves large garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Truss the chicken and rub it inside and out with the herbed salt.
- Tuck the cloves of garlic and sprigs of rosemary and thyme inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a rack and toast until golden brown, about 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes before disjointing or carving.
- Serve with pan juices.