Bread crumbs seasoned with fresh herbs are one of Francesco’s favorite touches for dressing up a variety of dishes. This handsome dish, with broccoli adorning the fish in its browned crust, could be served with mashed Parmesan potatoes.
Halibut with Broccoli
Servings 4 servings
- 75 gr broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup (15 g) fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 1 1/2 pound (750 g) halibut fillets, in 4 equal pieces
- 1/4 cup (25 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fish stock
- 1 tbsp (90 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Steam the broccoli until just tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Refresh in cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Mix the bread crumbs with half the sage and coat the halibut with this mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the oil in a heavy nonstick skillet, add the fish, and saute about 5 minutes on each side, or longer if the fillets are very thick, until the fish is just cooked through.
- Remove the fish from the skillet, transfer to a serving dish, and keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil, the fish stock, and lemon juice to the skillet.
- Stir in the broccoli and remaining sage.
- Cook just long enough to reheat the broccoli, season with salt and pepper, then spoon the broccoli and sauce around the fish and serve.