Share this article!
Last Updated on November 28, 2018 by Katty
An easy recipe for the pesto alla genovese. The garlic is optional. The cheese used is different according to taste (the pecorino gives a more pungent taste than parmigiano).
Pesto alla genovese
Servings 4 servings
- 50 gr basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 50 gr pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the basil leaves and put them in the mortar. Add the chopped garlic, pine nuts and salt and crush together.
- When it's well mixed, add the cheese.
- Add the oil little by little, mixing all along.
- It you think the sauce is too thick, add water (some recipes include half cup of oil and half of water).
- Boil the pasta in salted water, when it's al dente take it out and add the pesto.
You can also add fresh cherry tomatoes to your pasta, their sweetness is a nice contrast to the bitterness of the pesto.