“When you cook slices of eggplant that are mostly skin,” Francesco explains, “they come out looking like sauteed mushrooms, which is why this dish is called eggplant mushrooms.”
Melanzane al funghetto
Servings 4 servings
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- Hot red pepper to taste
- Quarter the eggplant lengthwise and cut away the flesh to within 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) of the skin.
- Save the flesh from the center for another use or discard it.
- Cut the remaining eggplant with skin into little slivers.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet or a wok.
- Add the eggplant and garlic and stir-fry until the eggplant is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and hot red pepper flakes and serve.