Italian for Beginners :
Good news is that most Americans already know how to pronounce Italian sounds as there are many Italian words that are used in English language. Italian vowels contrary to English vovels are ALWAYS pronounced in the same way regardless their positions in the words.
There are five written vowels in Italian language; they are a, e, i , o , u. Among these sounds there is no Italian sound that does not have an identical or fairly close English sound. Italian language does not use y, j and w instead it replaces them with i and u unless it is a word borrowed from English.
Enclosed below are examples of words that can be used to master pronunciation of certain vowels:
· A, E and I are pronounced like in the spaghetti
- A and I are pronounced as in the world’s most known Italian word pizza- I is always pronounced like in the word Italy
· O in all Italian words is always pronounced like in English word sport
- O and A are always pronounced like in Marco Polo
· U is always pronounced like in words buongiorno or uno (as numero uno)
Here is an exercise for you to practice sounds pronunciations that we have just learned: ( of course push the play button to hear the audio )
- Al Dente
- Mamma mia
Now lets try with a word not in the English language
ITALIAN FOR BEGINNERS : VOWEL PRONUNCIATION : LEARN ITALIAN : ITALIAN LANGUAGE LESSONS ONLINE
by Paolo Nascimbeni