An easy recipe for the pesto alla genovese. The garlic is optional. The cheese used is different according to taste (the pecorino gives a more pungent taste than parmigiano).
Pesto alla genovese
Prep Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 50 gr basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 50 gr pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the basil leaves and put them in the mortar. Add the chopped garlic, pine nuts and salt and crush together.
- When it's well mixed, add the cheese.
- Add the oil little by little, mixing all along.
- It you think the sauce is too thick, add water (some recipes include half cup of oil and half of water).
- Boil the pasta in salted water, when it's al dente take it out and add the pesto.
You can also add fresh cherry tomatoes to your pasta, their sweetness is a nice contrast to the bitterness of the pesto.