“Fish and seafood are so important in Venice,” says Francesco, “that when making fish stews and risottos with fish, we prefer a fish stock. For shrimp, lobster, and crabs a shellfish stocks is better.” None are complicated to prepare.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 4 pounds head and bones of a (2-kg) white fleshed fish
- 4 L cold water
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 tomato
- Place the fish head and bones in a large stockpot. Add the cold water, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, skimming any foam from the surface.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and tomato.
- Continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock, season lightly with salt, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.