At Remi this vegetable stock is used as a base for many of the risottos, especially the ones made without meat or fish. “We have many people coming into the restaurant who are vegetarians,” Francesco explains, “and we want to be able to accommodate them. When it’s well made, a vegetable stock is full of flavor.”
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large leek, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 onion, quartered
- 12 cups (3 L) cold water
- Salt to taste
- Place the vegetables in a small stockpot, add the water, bring to a simmer, and cook gently for 1 hour, until the liquid is reduced to 2 quarts (2 L).
- Skim off any surface foam from time to time.
- Strain the stock, season lightly with salt, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.